Sunday, November 23, 2014

Take Me Seriously!


Photo credit: gumuz / Foter / CC BY
 
I want to be taken seriously. I expect to be treated as an equal and someone who should treated with dignity and respect like everybody else. I wish that people see me as a mature and responsible adult when I came to college. But after a couple of bumpy roads along the way, my expectation was ruined.

Note: Names italicized are fake names to protect the identity of the person.

1) Bruce

I met Bruce a few years ago. We both became friends through our love for anime and other geekery. He liked me but unfortunately for him, I didn’t like him back. Especially when he has a serious touching problem. Once he knew that I was his dream girl, he started poking my arm and grabbing my shoulder to scare me. Trying to be polite, I pushed his hand whenever he pokes me and jerked his hand off my shoulder whenever he attempts his horrible surprises. It got to the point where I calmly told him I didn't like it, stood a far distance away from him, and glared at him whenever he continued. That didn't stop him.  He kept poking me and attempting to play-scare me until the one day I hit and yelled at him to stop. I stopped yelling as soon as I realized my friend was there and continued on with hanging out.

After my outburst, I spoke with Bruce in the car and lectured him not to touch me in possible way ever again. His response? “Aww. But it’s fun. I do that with my close friends all the time. ”
Touching me is not cute, especially if I don’t consent to it. I never spoke to that guy after that incident.

2) Dylan

I used to have a huge crush on this guy named Dylan. After bumping into him on campus and hanging out with each other, I had the huge desire to date him. When I told him that, he blew me off and suggested I date other because I'm not mature enough for him and that he's not interested in a relationship. After the rejection, I stopped hanging out with him for a while and attempted to look elsewhere.

Two or three later, Dylan popped back into my life again. I tried to keep it cool with him and put the rejection behind me. With a huge grin on his face, he announced that he got a girlfriend. He even shoved a cellphone picture of him and his new girlfriend on my face. Are you fucking kidding me? Did he forget he was speaking to? Someone who had high hopes of dating him and got rejected so he can hook up with another girl and shove that in my face?

He later dumped her and started seeing me again. This time, he wanted to date me. Since I was uncomfortable of what happened, I told him that he hurt my feelings in the most honest way possible. Instead of a proper apology with sincerity, he pouted and talked to me as if I were a baby. “Awwwww. Poor Lisa. I’m so sorry. What can I do to make it up to you? Do you want me to take you on a date? Cook for you?”

The thought of Dylan still angers me today. I wish I never knew this guy.

3) Club

Last Monday, I informed my club that I need them to fill out paperwork and give them to me once they’re done before Friday afternoon. I sent them Facebook messages and texts to make sure they do their work and turn it immediately. On Friday, I ended up with only half of the paperwork in my hands. Greatly disappointed and felt like I’m a shitty officer for not having everything turned on time.

Not matter how assertive I attempt to be to make Bruce stop, I’m seen as a little girl with no rights. No matter how intelligent and mature I try to prove to Dylan, I’m just seen as an immature piece of meat he wants to devour. No matter how responsible I try to be, I’m just seen as a fool who does not know what she’s doing.

I’m sick of it all. I do not want to be cooed at anymore nor do I not want to be a joke.  I’m going to keep doing what is important for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment