Friday, November 7, 2014

My ACCEPTS Distraction Plan


Image by Daniel Nanescu via Splitshire

Hi, guys. I want to share with you a therapeutic technique that I use to help me cope with all of the stress and depression. A few days ago, my counselor introduced me to the ACCEPTS distraction plan to help me cope with negativity and stress. It's made to help people get away from the negative thoughts by actively using strategies to deal with them.  In case you're wondering what ACCEPTS stands for, it's for:

Activities
Contributing to others
Compare to others/worse times
Emotions
Pushing negativity away
Thinking
Sensations

ACCEPTS is a very flexible technique so you can customize your plan anyway you want. I included my own strategies to distract myself, but you don't have to exactly follow my plan. There's no need to force yourself to watch penguin videos to distract yourself although they are adorable.


1) Activities

Doing things help you be active and focus on your activity instead of your stressor. It can be something you really enjoy like a hobby or something that's productive like a chore or errand. Whatever can keep you physically and mentally busy works.

What I do:
  • Meditate
  • Run
  • Read a book (that's not school-related)

2) Contributing to others

When you contribute to others, you give your time to. Not only are you distracting yourself by helping, but you're also benefiting the person you're giving your time to. It can be as small as opening a door for a stranger or grand as volunteering for your community. Just remember that when you're doing good for others, you're also doing good for yourself.
 
What I do:
  • Contact my loved ones
  • Cook for my roommate

3) Compare to others/worse times

This strategy can help put your own worries and situation into perspective and see how your negative experiences are compared to other people or your other experiences.You can compare yourself to others' struggles or even compare them to your own past events. Honestly, I don't like comparing my own problems to others nor do I like remembering my past negative experiences. If this helps distract you in a good way, feel free to use this step to help motivate you.

What I do:
  • Remember how I got through a high school break-up
  • Remember those who I helped who had it worse than I did
  • Mindset: "If that person can get through this, I can too."

4) Emotions

Tackling negative emotions with something on the brighter side can help fight feelings of anxiety and sadness. Think of what emotion you want to feel instead of being upset, sad, etc. Identify what item or activity that will replace your negative emotion with something more positive.

What I do:
  • To be happy: Watch cute videos like penguin bloopers
  • To be intrigued/introspective: Watch documentaries & read books

5) Push negativity away

When my counselor asked me what I can do to push away negativity, I just stared at the ACCEPTS plan paper in confusion. I have trouble with letting negative thoughts run across my head. However, I can put away negative feelings of anxiety and sadness by physically express my worries out or mentally throwing them away.

What I do:
  • Visualize shoving your worries or concerns away from you
  • Worry box
  • Thought diary

6) Thoughts

Find something that can keep your mind occupied with something else so you don't have to focus on negative thoughts. Distract your mind with something that can calm you down or keep you busy. Remember find things that make a positive impact for your mind.

What I do:
  • Think happy thoughts: beach, the weekend, pouring rain
  • Find something to exercise my brain: video games, philosophy, puzzles

7) Sensations

Associating something that satisfies any of your senses with happiness and serenity can help you forget your worries. You can use special sensory items or do activities that calm any of your 5 senses. Whatever looks good, sounds pleasant, smells nice, tastes delicious, or feels amazing helps.

What I do:
  • Make a coping box/self soothing kit
  • Soothe my sense of smell with an Auric Blends perfume roll-on
  • Soothe my sense of touch by petting my cat
  • Listen to calming sounds  

What part of ACCEPTS do you like or dislike? What will you incorporate in your ACCEPTS plan if you want to use it in the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment